Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Attempting Potato and Pea Curry (Aloo Mattar)

I've been wanting to try making this curry for months now, it's my absolute favourite curry and it's pretty simple to make! It's vegetarian and basically consists of potato and peas!
The ingredients are:
3 onions
3 cloves of garlic
1.5 inches of ginger
1/2 c butter
1.5kg potatoes diced
1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
1 1/2 c chicken stock
350g frozen peas
1 bunch coriander
1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice

Finely dice the onion, mince the garlic and grate the ginger. Sauté onion, garlic and ginger in the butter in a large saucepan (trust me, the bigger the better, I ended up using our large catering pot to fit everything in.)



Add in the diced potato and curry powder, mix all together. Stir in chicken stock and bring to the boil. Allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potato is cooked through. Add peas and simmer for 5 minutes. Add finely chopped coriander, white wine vinegar and lemon juice. Season with salt.




I paired my Aloo Mattar with chapatis and rice. I bought pre-made chapatis from the Indian supermarket and heated them up in a HOT frying pan with a dash of oil, let them puff up then pat down with a tea-towel and flip over, best to use tongs to do this (I learnt the hard way, my poor fingertips!) These only take about 30 seconds each side to cook.



This was a HUGE hit with the family, the flavours go together soooo well. The lemon juice just really freshens up the whole dish and counteracts the heaviness of the carbs. Definitely something we will be eating again!

5 comments:

  1. Karina, this looks fantastic. Serve it to me one day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so delicious. I love curry! And is that nan bread?

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks so yummy!!! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's chapati bread which is similar to naan bread but naan bread is fluffier and more filling because it's leavened (made with yeast) where as chapati's are pretty much just flour and water!

    ReplyDelete